WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF POPE JOHN THE TALL, LEADER OF THE ALL JOHN ALL THE TIME WORLD CHURCH


******PLEASE NOTE******

(Notice I said please.)

To those of you who are new to "the Pope" and the "AJATTWC", the following various posts are the official communications of yours truly, Pope John The Tall, or as I'm known in many circles, PJTT.

I aspired to the position of Pope of the AJATTWC several years ago, after the Roman Catholics elected Joseph Ratzinger, a German Cardinal, as their Pope; I figured if he could do it, so could I.

Despite what would seem to be a "religious" theme, I try not to play favorites: I'm satirical/irreverent about everything, in an attempt to give my readers a few yucks; that is the goal. If I haven't made you laugh, well, I tried, and I hope I'm given an "A" for the effort. (Or at least a really solid "C".)

I further hope that my faithful readers (all several of them) and any of you who wander in from the cold of the Internet, will derive much solace and spiritual awakening from my timeless prose, and, as I so often refer to it, the "soothing balm of Johnism"; if you don't, how sad for you, because I'm a pretty funny guy. (My daughter tells me, regularly, that I'm "silly"; I suspect that she's right.)

Please note that everything on my blog is meant to be fun, and in no way insulting to anyone, unless of course you're a politician, then you can assume I intended to insult you. (Hey, it goes with the job, guys; if you can't take the heat, then the harder they fall.)

Never mind.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for stopping by; please feel free to peruse to your heart's content (there is a large archive of my past posts, going back several hundred years, in the right-hand column), and please be sure to make a large donation at the door as you leave. (It's tax-deductible.)

Speaking of leaving, as I make my exit, and probably none too soon, here's something from the Book of Excretions, Apollo 13: Dodgers 6...

"Blessed are the lazy, for although they don't accomplish much, they're well rested."

Enjoy. (Or don't, it's still a free country. It is still a free country, isn't it? They haven't changed that as far as I know, have they?)





Monday, January 27, 2014

The AJATTWC NOBULLetin_January 2014


"We interrupt this program to bring you a special bulletin..."


January 2014 NO BULLetin
THE ALL JOHN ALL THE TIME WORLD CHURCH

Edited by your favorite Clergyperson
Pope John The Tall
Leader and Head Guy


Well, maybe not a bulletin per se (that's Latin for "flushing toilet", see post from 1/25/14), but more a compendium (that's English for "a summary or abstract containing the essential information in a brief form", which is unusual for me, brevity, that is) of a number of items that have crossed in front of my viewfinder in the last few days, and that I believe deserve comment.

(For those of you who are not regular followers of my work, which is the spreading of the gospel of the "soothing balm of Johnism", an explanation of my now historic ascent to Papal irrelevance appears above.)

FYI, the NOBULLetin is supposed to be a monthly publication, but given time constraints, 24/7 news cycles and writer's block on the part of your Pope, sometimes it's not so regular. Like once a year maybe.

Sorry; I promise to do better in the future.

In no apparent order, which is a hallmark of my writing, here they are:

***From the Love, American Style Department...

            Toni Tennille, 73, the better looking half of the musical act the Captain and Tennille (which in this case is a dubious distinction), announced last week that she has filed for divorce from her husband of THIRTY-NINE YEARS, Captain Horatio Hornblower, a/k/a Daryl Dragon, 71. Ms. Captain cited poor musicianship and questionable taste as the reasons for the break-up of the marriage.
           
THIRTY-NINE YEARS with the same guy and NOW you realize he's the wrong one. What, you weren't paying attention? You're 73 years old and NOW it's back to the dating scene? (To invoke the name of my atomic powered rocket ship, the Royal Unionship Kidding, or for short, what, RU Kidding?)
           
Love apparently will not keep them together.

***From the This Is Somehow Very Wrong Department...

            This past Saturday, 1/25/14, in an NHL Pacific Division contest, the Anaheim Ducks beat the Los Angeles Kings 3-0...at Dodger Stadium.

            No, you didn't read that wrong, the game was played outdoors at the home of my favorite baseball team, the Los Angeles Dodgers. See the link below for a video and the story of the game.

            Hockey, at Chavez Ravine.

            I'm sorry, but this is wrong, very wrong. I mean, the picture just looks so weird. I watch just about every Dodgers game on TV during the season, being retired from my regular job (being Pope doesn't require an inordinate amount of my time, d'uh, leaving me ample opportunity to indulge my love of baseball/the Dodgers), not to mention a number of personal visits over the years when I was a resident of L.A., so I see/have seen the stadium frequently and I can tell you, this just isn't right.

            Okay, I'm done kvetching (that's Yiddish for "flushing toilet").


***From the When Did That Happen Department?...

            Now I pride myself on being a pretty aware Pope; I make every effort to keep abreast of the news and to be knowledgeable of current events, reading a daily newspaper and surfing a number of on-line news sources regularly. But I have to tell you that your Pope really dropped the proverbial ball on this one; when the hell did stamps get so expensive? The last time I remember the price of a postage stamp, it was 37 cents. (Okay, obviously I haven't been paying attention to this issue lately.)

            But according to numerous articles just about everywhere last week (see the article from the New York Daily News below, as an example), the United States Postal Service, bastion of incompetence and mediocrity, is raising the price of a 1st Class stamp to...FORTY-NINE CENTS.

            I don't have a problem with the amount necessarily, I just wasn't aware that stamps had gone up that much. But whether the price is fair or outrageous notwithstanding, what galls me is this raise vis a vis (that's Latin for "what, are you people kidding with this?") the utter incompetence of the USPS, and to increase their rates again, apparently for the fourth time in as many years, is like adding insult to injury, salt in the wound and what would the fox say. (He'd probably tell you to take your raise and insert it some place unmentionable.)

            I recently moved from the bucolic splendor of the San Fernando Valley area of L.A., back to the frigid plains of Northern Illinois, and in the process of doing so, well in advance of the move, I petitioned the Postal Service folks for a change of address for both my personal and business mail. In the two plus months since the change went into effect, the geniuses at the Post Office have lost at least TEN (you know, like in one more than nine and one less than eleven), TEN pieces of my mail, items that I can verify from the originators were sent but have never arrived.

            Lost in the ozone? Who knows, but I know this much, I never saw them.

            I sent an unpleasant letter to the Postmaster at the Van Nuys CA branch that handles the mail for Sherman Oaks, where I lived, complaining of the service and the loss of my mail; I suspect the letter was passed around at break time (8:00am to 12:00pm daily, after which it's lunch-time, to be followed by an afternoon break from 1:00pm to 5:00pm), and generated some hearty laughs from the employees. (The word "employees" is used here only to indicate the receipt of a paycheck; it is not used to indicate productivity.)

            Gee, it's hard to imagine how an efficient and well-run agency like the Postal Service lost FIVE BILLION DOLLARS last year, isn't it?

            49 cents a stamp? You guys at the USPS have the balls of a rhinoceros.


***From the They're All The Rage These Days Department...

            This will probably only be funny to folks who have been following the exploits of the Mars Rover Curiosity; I have, and I thought it was hilarious.


***From the Serious Lack Of Taste Department...

            Cervidae flatulence.


Love and the monthlies,

PJTT

copyright 2014 Krissongs Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dawn

Dawn