WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF POPE JOHN THE TALL, LEADER OF THE ALL JOHN ALL THE TIME WORLD CHURCH


******PLEASE NOTE******

(Notice I said please.)

To those of you who are new to "the Pope" and the "AJATTWC", the following various posts are the official communications of yours truly, Pope John The Tall, or as I'm known in many circles, PJTT.

I aspired to the position of Pope of the AJATTWC several years ago, after the Roman Catholics elected Joseph Ratzinger, a German Cardinal, as their Pope; I figured if he could do it, so could I.

Despite what would seem to be a "religious" theme, I try not to play favorites: I'm satirical/irreverent about everything, in an attempt to give my readers a few yucks; that is the goal. If I haven't made you laugh, well, I tried, and I hope I'm given an "A" for the effort. (Or at least a really solid "C".)

I further hope that my faithful readers (all several of them) and any of you who wander in from the cold of the Internet, will derive much solace and spiritual awakening from my timeless prose, and, as I so often refer to it, the "soothing balm of Johnism"; if you don't, how sad for you, because I'm a pretty funny guy. (My daughter tells me, regularly, that I'm "silly"; I suspect that she's right.)

Please note that everything on my blog is meant to be fun, and in no way insulting to anyone, unless of course you're a politician, then you can assume I intended to insult you. (Hey, it goes with the job, guys; if you can't take the heat, then the harder they fall.)

Never mind.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for stopping by; please feel free to peruse to your heart's content (there is a large archive of my past posts, going back several hundred years, in the right-hand column), and please be sure to make a large donation at the door as you leave. (It's tax-deductible.)

Speaking of leaving, as I make my exit, and probably none too soon, here's something from the Book of Excretions, Apollo 13: Dodgers 6...

"Blessed are the lazy, for although they don't accomplish much, they're well rested."

Enjoy. (Or don't, it's still a free country. It is still a free country, isn't it? They haven't changed that as far as I know, have they?)





Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cross Your Eyes And Dot Your Tees


"Klaatu barada nikto".

No, that isn't the Latin translation of a sentence from the liturgy of the All John All The Time World Church, as performed by your Pope Guy, John The Tall, leader and head-chef of the AJATTWC, in my quest to spread the message of the "soothing balm of Johnism"; it's the Roman Catholics that used to do that Latin thing, although I understand they've pretty much dropped it now, considering that, well, d'uh, Latin isn't spoken anywhere in the world these days.

No, that's a phrase from one of the all-time great sci-fi movies ever, the 1951 classic "The Day The Earth Stood Still" (not to be confused with "The Day The Fish Came Out", a 1967 comedy about "a weapon more dangerous than a nuclear weapon", which seems like an unusual theme for a comedy), starring Michael Rennie as "Klaatu", the space alien that came to Earth to give us the somber message that if the people of this world didn't clean up our collective acts (speaking of nuclear weapons), the planetary alliance to which his planet belonged would blow the living bejeezus out of us, and that would be that.

They never identified the planet that Klaatu was from, but I suspect it was Zatox. It's also noteworthy that the movie was released the same year I was born, making us both geriatric cases, which is much evidenced in the movie by the rather primitive music and special effects; I have neither.

We were also deeply invested in the Korean War in '51; President Truman was the initiator of the American foreign policy of involvement in "police actions" in far-away countries that waste vast amounts of treasure and cost thousands of lives unnecessarily, and accomplish nothing. (I remember the first time, as a kid in school, when one of the nuns at St. Jude's mentioned Truman by his full name; I thought she was calling him "Harry Ass" Truman, and I couldn't believe she said it.) Despite Harry's getting us involved in Korea, which I'm not sure he had much of a choice about, and being a Democrat, I have always thought him to be one of the better Presidents this country has ever had.)

But I digest.

Anyway, Klaatu told Helen Benson (played by a very good-looking Patricia Neal), one of his fellow boarding-house roomies, after she guessed that he wasn't from Akron OH, that she was to say this to Gort, the 8 foot tall robot that was standing guard outside the spaceship in which Klaatu came to Earth, in case anything bad happened to him (Klaatu), like say a bunch of xenophobic Earthlings shot his butt.

Which of course they ultimately did.

I love this movie, but I've always had a problem with that line. Obviously, given the context, if translated to English it would read, "Klaatu has bought the farm, now go find his dead butt and save him from the heathen Earth aliens before they eat him, or worse, turn him into a Republican."

More or less.


Here's my objection: based on my translation, painstakingly derived from the original Zatoxian, there should be a comma after "barada", as in "Klaatu barada, nikto." You could even have used a semi-colon, which is, according to my Webster's New World Dictionary Of The American Language, which is not to be confused with English necessarily, "a mark of punctuation indicating a degree of separation greater than that marked by a comma and less than that marked by the period".

In American, there should have been a comma at least; in Zatoxian, hard to say.


(George Bernard Shaw, the Irish playwright, once remarked that England and America were "two nations divided by a common language".)

I can't speak for the English, or the French, or the Belarusians, but Americans tend to screw up punctuation pretty regularly, assuming they use it at all.

Case in point, from a real CraigsList ad I saw recently on the Huffington Post, in an article naming the "Eight Strangest Ads Ever On CraigsList", from a guy trying to sell his pick-up truck (and just ignore the fact that the reason he's selling the vehicle is because it has become a four-wheeled bee-hive; that's another issue altogether):

"$1200 obo this has been a good truck for me but i have to sell it because i cant ever get to it with all of the bees around it they have been in and around it for almost 2 months now and i havent been able to get near 5 feet or else i get stung and im sick of it i still have welts from months ago stingings and i cant even get to work because i cant get to my truck so i have to sell it test drives at ur own risk i cant go with you too many bees"

Not bad...a one hundred and four word paragraph with not one punctuation mark. As in none, nada, zip, bupkis, zilch, close your eyes and how many do you see, zero, none. (His spelling and use of capitalization leave something to be desired as well.)

The antithesis to this lack of sentence discernment is the person who over-uses punctuation, another horror.

(Full disclosure here: I am guilty of being a serial abuser of commas and semicolons; if you've ever read any of my posts, you'll know from whence I speak. I tend to beat the crap out of quotation marks and parentheses as well.)

But to my way of thinking, better too many than that abomination above. But that's just me, and what do I know?

I have a family member whose punctuation mark of choice is the exclamation point, as in any sentence that she is trying to express any enthusiasm or shock or surprise is punctuated thusly:

"The grass was green!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I will not reveal the name of this abuser of the "sudden, vehement utterance" point (thank you again, Websters), other than to say that it's my lovely daughter. (Oh, that was subtle.)

Apostrophes are another source of frustration for those of us who believe that written American is rapidly going down the shitter.

Simple rule...if it belongs to someone/thing, use an apostrophe; if its merely plural, don't.


Geez; what in the world are schools teaching kids today?

My only comment on periods will be that I'm sorry women have to have them every 28 days or so; I understand they're unpleasant.


Did you know that bologna is made from cow elbows? For that matter, were you even aware that cows HAD elbows?

Love and !";:(,.'s,

PJTT

copyright 2014 Krissongs Inc.

"Dilbert" cartoon, copyright Scott Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dawn

Dawn