WELCOME TO THE BLOG OF POPE JOHN THE TALL, LEADER OF THE ALL JOHN ALL THE TIME WORLD CHURCH


******PLEASE NOTE******

(Notice I said please.)

To those of you who are new to "the Pope" and the "AJATTWC", the following various posts are the official communications of yours truly, Pope John The Tall, or as I'm known in many circles, PJTT.

I aspired to the position of Pope of the AJATTWC several years ago, after the Roman Catholics elected Joseph Ratzinger, a German Cardinal, as their Pope; I figured if he could do it, so could I.

Despite what would seem to be a "religious" theme, I try not to play favorites: I'm satirical/irreverent about everything, in an attempt to give my readers a few yucks; that is the goal. If I haven't made you laugh, well, I tried, and I hope I'm given an "A" for the effort. (Or at least a really solid "C".)

I further hope that my faithful readers (all several of them) and any of you who wander in from the cold of the Internet, will derive much solace and spiritual awakening from my timeless prose, and, as I so often refer to it, the "soothing balm of Johnism"; if you don't, how sad for you, because I'm a pretty funny guy. (My daughter tells me, regularly, that I'm "silly"; I suspect that she's right.)

Please note that everything on my blog is meant to be fun, and in no way insulting to anyone, unless of course you're a politician, then you can assume I intended to insult you. (Hey, it goes with the job, guys; if you can't take the heat, then the harder they fall.)

Never mind.

Anyway, welcome and thanks for stopping by; please feel free to peruse to your heart's content (there is a large archive of my past posts, going back several hundred years, in the right-hand column), and please be sure to make a large donation at the door as you leave. (It's tax-deductible.)

Speaking of leaving, as I make my exit, and probably none too soon, here's something from the Book of Excretions, Apollo 13: Dodgers 6...

"Blessed are the lazy, for although they don't accomplish much, they're well rested."

Enjoy. (Or don't, it's still a free country. It is still a free country, isn't it? They haven't changed that as far as I know, have they?)





Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Sense Of Betrayal

Sitting here on this morning after the 2012 Presidential election, feeling mostly deflated more than anything else, I would like to extend my congratulations to President Barack Obama, on his reelection. Although I didn't vote for Mr. Obama, either time as a matter of fact (I'll get to that in a moment), I will point out that, as our duly elected President and leader of our nation, he is deserving of our respect and support.

We don't have to agree with him, and certainly it is our right, indeed our duty, to disagree strenuously at times with whatever proposals and agenda he sees fit to put forth before the citizens of our nation.

But always, always, it is incumbent upon us to do so with respect and dignity, for his office, and for ourselves.

The 2012 Presidential race seems like the longest I have ever witnessed, and the most distressing. (The most expensive as well.) While politics, especially Presidential politics, is not for the faint of heart, this election has to have been one of the most gut-wrenching, unpleasant contests in the history of our country.

How long has Mitt Romney been running? It seems like forever.

I first voted for a candidate for President in 1972; I was just 21, and armed with a brand-new voter card from my home state of Illinois. I voted for Richard Nixon, because even at that tender age, being possessed of little political savvy and, like so many then, the "liberalness" of the times, something about George McGovern's candidacy just didn't ring true with me.

Thus started my lengthy history of voting for Republican candidates for the highest office in America.

Nixon in '72, Ford in '76, Reagan both in '80 and '84, Bush I in '88 and '92, Dole in '96, Bush II in 2000 and John McCain in 2008. Yes, I skipped '04, which was the only break in that long history of GOP loyalty; I could not abide with another four years of that horror George W. Bush again, went off into a major revolt and voted for John Kerry.

The above momentary glitch of '04 notwithstanding, I think you could safely say I have been a loyal Republican all my adult life. Even in most local and state races, typically I voted for the GOP candidate as the person who most embodied the principles of small government, fiscal responsibility and a strong military presence in an increasingly unstable world.

These were all things I believed in deeply. And still do.

Several days before this most recent election, one of my Facebook friends posted a wonderful essay written by, interestingly, Charlie Daniels of the rock/country group The Charlie Daniels Band (clever name, what?). In it, Mr. Daniels espoused voting for a candidate that supported all those values I mentioned above, those of keeping government out of our lives, one that spends our tax dollars wisely and not profligately, a government that believes in having the best equipped, best trained and most capable armed services in the world and that believes in a moral fiber that often times seems lacking in our 21st century society. Although Mr. Daniels didn't endorse a specific candidate, it was clear of whom, on both sides, he was speaking.

Right on, Charlie, you nailed it, buddy, and I couldn't agree with you more. America, now more than ever it would seem, needs that kind of leader.

The problem was, for all Americans, that kind of leader wasn't running for President this year, from either party.

I did not vote for Mr. Obama, although I was tempted to do so; I still don't believe he has been an effective President nor that he has kept a number of the promises he made when elected back in '08, and I just could not support the man, although in truth, he should be credited for a number of his accomplishments, certainly in the area of foreign policy, where I believe he has been a creditable leader.

I again broke my long history of GOP fealty, reluctantly, and voted for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate; Mr. Johnson had a number of views that I agreed with, many of them similar to the positions that Republicans used to take, not the least of which were fiscal responsibility, immigration reform and the legalization of marijuana.

Those were the minor did/did not vote for's for this election; the MAJOR "I did not vote for..." was my non-support of the Republican candidate, Mitt Romney.

I wouldn't have voted for Mitt Romney if you had placed a gun to my head.

I sincerely believe that Mr. Romney is a good and decent man, just a lousy politician.

Mitt is a Mormon, a flip-flopper, unsympathetic to the working-man and, if his lack of ability to articulate his programs was any indication, clueless about Washington, D.C. governance. Further, I suspect, given his toadying to the Tea Party element in his party, he would have been utterly incapable of "reaching across the aisle" to govern from the middle, as is so desperately needed in this country today. This is all redundant and irrelevant now.

But therein lies the betrayal I feel that comes from the Republican Party towards so many of us "moderate Republicans"; sadly, he was the best the GOP had to offer.

The party of Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt and Ronald Reagan could field no more competent representative than Mitt Romney, who frankly, looked utterly Presidential when compared to his primary opponents.

To wit:

Rick Santorum, who could not understand the separation of church and state; I admire him for his faith, but reject his stiff-necked, unyielding approach to so many of our social issues.

Michelle Bachmann, crazy. Period.

Rick Perry, almost as crazy as Bachmann, and totally clueless, even to being unable to name the several Federal agencies that he wanted to eliminate.

Newt Gingrich, all of the above, with arrogance on the side, which was particularly galling from a man who had been married and divorced what, fifteen or twenty times?

Herman Cain, also crazy.

Jon Huntsman, the only one of the bunch with any good sense and decent credentials, who got buried in the hue and outcry of the Tea Party geniuses.

This, this is the best my party had to offer me as candidates for the leader of the free world? The GOP couldn't come up with ANYONE else with a better pedigree and resume than these clowns?

And you wonder why I feel betrayed by my party? To say I'm disappointed would be the understatement of the decade.

I considered leaving the space for my vote for President blank, and just voting in the various other races and for/against the multitude of Propositions California voters have to wend their way through each election cycle. But I couldn't.

So I gave my vote to a man that, while what I read about Mr. Johnson led me to believe in his basic sincerity and honesty, had about as much chance of winning the election as an ice cube in Hell. Granted, a candidate's chances of winning really shouldn't be a factor in someone supporting them, but come on, we weren't talking Ross Perot or John Anderson here. (Bet you hadn't even heard of Gary Johnson until you read this, had you?)

I make it a point not to write about politics on my blog; it's often too polarizing, and I would rather not offend my readers (all three of them). But I had to talk about this.

Because the betrayal I feel this morning, November 7th, 2012, isn't as much political as it is personal; the Republicans owe me better than this. After all these years of loyalty, yeah, they owe me better.

Okay, I'm done, it's off my chest. I will make one last comment here, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to vent.

If the GOP doesn't find a way to move to more moderate positions over the course of the next few years, without sacrificing their core beliefs, if they can't find a leader to head up a national reevaluation of Party positions, such as Bill Clinton did for the Democrats back in '92, if they can't find a way to reject the ultra-right, over-the-top Tea Partiers, then all loyal Republicans, like myself, can look forward to election after election of under-qualified, conservative wingnuts that have little or no chance of being elected President.

Thanks a lot, GOP, for nothing; Ron Reagan has to be spinning in his grave.

Love and ballots,

PJTT

copyright 2012 Krissongs Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dawn

Dawn